Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Midwestern African American Genealogy Institute (MAAGI) Day #1 Part 1

I took the red-eye Monday, July 8, 2013, from San Diego to St. Louis so that I could attend the Midwestern African American Genealogy Institute (MAAGI).  My purpose for attending the First Inaugural MAAGI  was to learn from some of the top genealogists that I have gotten to know through Geneabloggers & various social media networks. I want to take my genealogy career and business to the next level. The icing on the cake was that I would have a chance to explore some of the city where my father was raised.

I arrived at 5:30am at the Harris-Stowe State University Campus where MAAGI was being held.  Some of the attendees were staying at a local hotel, while others decided to stay on campus in the dorms.  I am one who decided to stay on campus. 

My arrival into St. Louis was an adventure in itself.  The shuttle dropped me off on the side of William Gillespie Hall.  I wasn't sure if the building was the dorm I was staying in and was unsure if the building was open.  I contemplated what to do next. 

I looked to my right at the end of the campus and saw a huge building that I was drawn to.  It had the name of the University on it.  I felt moved to take pictures of the building before I went to Gillespie Hall to see if I could check in.  As I took the pictures, I said to myself, "I hope that I will have the opportunity to visit my fathers Alma Mater, Vashon H.S." 

I put my camera away, and walked back to the Gillespie building to check in.

I was able to get my key to the dorm, and put my things in my private room.  I freshened up as my 1st day of workshops were going to begin within a few hours.  The ladies that share the living space with me were very cordial, and then we went to breakfast.

When I arrived to the Institute, I was greeted by Charles Brown, who resides in St. Louis, and is the coordinator of MAAGI.  We talked a few times prior to my arrival into St. Louis.  I had shared with him that my father was a Vashon Alumni and I was interested in seeing the old campus.  After Charles gave me my registration badge, he asked me to follow him so he could show me something.  Off I went to the window and he pointed to the building I had felt the urge to photograph.  He said, "That building is the Old Vashon H.S."

My mouth dropped!  I was shocked at what I heard and asked him to repeat what he said.

"That is the Old Vashon H.S."

I had known at that moment I had had a spiritual encounter with my ancestor.  I knew that my father wanted me to be here at Harris-Stowe State University so I could see where he attended H.S. 

These are a few of the initial photos I took of the "Old" Vashon H.S. [I have taken more photos on the 2nd day and will show at a later post.]




 



What a  great beginning of the MAAGI.  More to come.

20 comments:

  1. Vette u were on it! So glad u finally got to see it, can't wait for the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Beverly! I was wondering what and how I was going to keep my seat in the classes I needed and wanted to take and explore the area. Thanks for keeping up with my posts.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, you have been guided by the ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love It!!! Thanks for checking out my posts.

      Delete
  3. Awesome...you are exactly where you are suppose to be! We have been so honored to have all of the attendees here, we have learned and shared-that is what it is all about! Networking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAAGI is the place to be!!! Looking forward to 2014.

      Delete
  4. I am so proud of you, taking steps of faith leading toward growth and personal discovery! I look forward to the day when I can do the same. Till then, please...lead the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Debra!!! Thank you for your confidence! Thank you for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  5. Great Story! The Ancestors are yet speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by to check out my blog. It was also great meeting you at MAAGI.

      Delete
  6. Yes, The Ancestors were definitely speaking to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One moment in time can bring unmeasurable joy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the Joy continues as you stated "unmeasurable!"

      Delete
  8. what a wonderful and family moment you had to start your day with
    this conference! Congrats, a impressive looking previous H.S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In reading your timeline, I realized you had a year book that would iclude pictures of my mother Louise Adams as a student 1944-1945. Yes my mother attended Vashon, probably walked past your father. My father Sammie White also attended during that time period. U have some very rare books. I viewed 2 donated books at the Public School Archives in my home town and this is where I saw for the first tilme my parents as teenagers. Someone had donated their yearbooks to the Archives and I am eternally greatful because my family could not afford the expense. It is very possible my aunts and uncles may be in the other books u have. Look fOr ADAMS? Hope to meet u next year and please friend me. My mother is still living and may remember people your father knew from VASHON. By the way they have class reunions...stilll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please give me your name, it did not show. I looked in the two yearbooks that I found at home. I know there is one more. I currently have the 1945 & 1947 books. I remember seeing a 1946 book, but will have to search for it. What a great idea to donate these books to the Public School Archives. I will do so, once I get what I need out of the ones I have. I looked for the names you gave, and did not find them in those books...however I will look thoroughly and if I find will email to you. Thank you for reading my post. I so appreciate it.

      Delete
    2. Kinikia White. Also look for Ted Foster..he is still alive, has owned funeral homes. Julia Davis...a library is named after her. There is a man who led boycotts of Jefferson Bank..I can never remember is name, but I am sure Charles Brown will know. The bank refused for many years to hire black people for any jobs other than janitors. A lot of people r in these yearbooks that r well known in our city. Before u decide to donate...contact the Archives. I dont know what grade school your father attended but I have copies of 3 I attended and would be happy to email copies. Again as the daughter request copies of your fathers school records. There is a form u will need to use from the Archives. It gives a lot of unique info abt addresses and parents jobs. Bernice Bennett knows me.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for all the extra information. This is wonderful!!!

      Delete