Friday, July 19, 2013

The Midwestern African American Genealogy Institute Day #2, Part #2

I could not help myself...I kept finding myself drawn away from class and out into the University Campus exploring.  During my lunch break, I walked into the main school building and around the perimeter of the campus to get an idea of what the grounds may have looked like in the 1940's.  Of course in the 40's, there were no other buildings except the large one and possibly another one that would have been considered a Recreation Center.

As I stated in an earlier post, my father Walter J. Porter and my dad's friend Henry Hodge, both attended Vashon in the middle half of the 1940's.  I took every opportunity I had to imagine while exploring the campus, what it must have been like when my kin folks had attended.

I discovered the National Negro Baseball Field of St. Louis.  This field was the 1st original field that the St. Louis Stars played on.  They played in the years 1920-1931.  As I looked upon the field, I wondered if the youth of Vashon High School may have played on this field.

Please check out the photos that I put in a slide show.  Take your time and enjoy. 



Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create your own picture slideshow


Now don't think for one minute that this is all I had discovered while I was on the Harris-Stowe State University Campus, because I found something that was a gem within the school....Till next time.

4 comments:

  1. Yvette, you are truly amazing! The images were beautiful and the angles from which you captured Old Vashon HS as well as the campus in general were truly wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angela!! This was truly an adventure...So glad I went with it!!

      Delete
  2. Yvette, this post is a gem! I really enjoyed the slideshow, and I couldn't help but pause over the plaque which commemorated the baseball park! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that cool Debra? I just happened to stumble upon it!! That was exciting!

      Delete